Mental Health Specialist
A Mental Health Specialist serves in a child care/preschool setting or home environment. The person in this role works with children age birth through 5 years performing screenings and assessments, observation, creation of behavior intervention plans, provides teacher and parent support, consultation and early childhood mental health interventions in a home, classroom, small group, and one-on-one interventions.
- Screen children 0-5 for social-emotional concerns.
- Assess children 0-5 for mental health concerns.
- Work with parents and child care providers to develop behavior interventions to address concerns in the child's natural environment.
- Visit children 0-5 in their natural environments to assist in the implementation of behavior intervention plans.
- Make referrals for children 0-5 and their families to best meet their social-emotional and developmental needs.
- Attend and participate in multidisciplinary team meetings as well as team meetings within the mental health discipline.
- Train parents and child care providers during formal training sessions.
- Provide mental health consultation to child care providers and infant/toddler team members.
- Attend trainings and in-services as required by RUI and maintain licensure with Kansas BSRB.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Possess a genuine caring for and interest in children.
- Demonstrate the following:
- Ability to deal effectively with public and co-workers in a professional manner,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
- Ability to comply with agency and departmental safety policies and procedures,
- Ability to read and write the English language,
- Keep appropriate documentation of all cases per the standards of Rainbows United, Inc. and grant funding sources.
- Master in Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, or Counseling required.
- KS BSRB Licensure required.
- Minimum of 2 years previous experience working in early childhood and/or mental health.
WORK PACE: Self-paced, requiring the ability to work quickly and efficiently in an oftentimes fast-paced, emotionally demanding work area.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Indoors and occasional outdoors.
Rainbows United, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Rainbows United, Inc., from recruitment through employment and promotion, training and work assignments, to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws.
Rainbows United, Inc. participates in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with each new employee’s Form I-9 information to confirm work authorization.