February is National Children’s Dental Health Month! There are many things you can do for your baby to aid the development of little teeth and for your child to keep those teeth healthy and strong!
- Wipe your baby’s gums with a damp washcloth after every feeding.
- Avoid putting your baby to bed with a bottle.
- Switch from bottle to cup as soon as baby is able to hold a cup.
- Visit the dentist around the child’s first birthday.
- Prevent thumb, finger and pacifier sucking past the age of five.
- Eat healthy snacks.
- Brush and floss teeth twice a day.
- Teach kids how to brush their own teeth.
- Watch for teeth grinding. If your child is grinding their teeth, seek professional help.
- Visit the dentist twice a year.
These tips as well as others will help your child grow and maintain a beautiful smile! There are services available for those without dental insurance. Check with your school nurse, family physician, dentist or contact the Parent Helpline at 1.800.332.6378 for more information. These tips are from Kansas Children’s Service League. https://www.kcsl.org/PDFs/TipCards2014/Early%20Routine%20Dental%20Care.pdf